Find Your Voice & Finish Your Book
You Want to Finish Your Book
You know you have a book inside of you. You’ve been working on it for who knows how long—months, maybe years. You have the writing chops and a compelling story that will help others feel less alone. You’re dying to finish, but when? How?
Nonfiction Bootcamp will help you stop spinning your wheels—and finish your manuscript!
Starting January 2022
Nonfiction Bootcamp is a coaching program and community for women writing a nonfiction book about personal stories of transformation. My philosophy helps you to fully own and love the story you have to tell, and supports you in manifesting a sacred creative and writing practice.
Nonfiction Bootcamp Assists You in Three Areas:
A structure that keeps you focused and facilitates both your process and outcome
A Story that exists as written materials you can work with on the page
A Sanctuary that protects and upholds your writing as a sacred practice
Why This Program?
This program requires you to:
- Commit to the process. Yes, we will create the structure, help you identify your goals, give you deadlines, give you feedback, and edit your work. But you are the only one who can make the time, sit in the chair, and write the book.
- Spend approx 25-30 hours a month. Most of that time is for you to spend on your book and you should be prepared to rearrange your schedule if necessary. There is time for your book, you just have to make it.
- Make a financial investment. Instead of spending your mental, physical energy on feeling frustrated and drained, your investment in working with me and my team will help you to feel reinvigorated and accomplished.
In return you get:
- Guidance for designing a sustainable writing practice specific to your needs that works with your life and sets you up for making progress on your book project.
- Structure to set goals for yourself and your work, and deadlines for completing your book project.
- Accountability from Janna and the More to the Story team and the Nonfiction Bootcamp community to hold you to the outcome of your writing goals in a safe and supportive space.
- Feedback, professional editing, and one-on-one work on your manuscript with Janna and the editorial team.
Starting January 2022 & Space Is Limited
There are only a few spots available and we hand-select those who are invited to join. If you are interested, use the button below to fill out an application and tell us about you, your book, and why you’re interested in working with us. After filling out the application, you’ll be prompted to schedule a ten-minute call with our team to help us determine if you’d be a good fit for the program.
You Should Apply If:
- You want a safe and supportive community of women writers who are as serious as you are about finishing their book. You’re not a beginner and you’re not fickle about your work or your life as a writer.
- Your book incorporates your personal story because you know sharing it will help others in some way.
- You know writing a book is hard work and a journey. It won’t happen overnight, but you will see progress over time.
- You’re a woman who is serious about writing a book, or who has a book-in-progress (memoir, or other form of nonfiction incorporating your personal story).
- You are determined to finish your book but you’re unsure of how to actually make that happen with where you are right now.
You Should Not Apply If:
- You are writing something other than a nonfiction book.
- You’ve been in other writing programs and didn’t engage the process, missed deadlines, or didn’t participate in the community of the group.
- You are writing a story about your life to document it for your family.
What Others Say About Working with Us
Nonfiction Bootcamp is a private coaching program and community created by Janna Marlies Maron, and run by Janna and her team of editors. It’s currently 9 months and is designed to help writers find their voice and finish their book. Yes, it is possible to finish a book in less than one year—it takes focus, commitment, and support.
Nonfiction Bootcamp is for women writing a nonfiction book about a personal story of transformation. We say that the story is one of transformation because often women are compelled to tell the story of something big they have overcome like a diagnosis or adoption or finding the courage to start a business and how it has completely changed their life, for the better. They know that what they have been through can also help change the lives of others, for the better, and that is why they are compelled to write a book.
The women we work with are typically working through major life shifts that often makes the material hard to write because they are revisiting painful or challenging memories. This is why it’s essential for them to find a safe and supportive space to do this work. The work is hard and, yes, can be painful, but it is also therapeutic and deeply healing.
The program is 9 months and includes:
- Recorded monthly sessions focusing on our Structure-Story-Sanctuary framework for establishing a sustainable and integrated writing life for yourself
- Twice-monthly live office hour calls with our editors and the other participants to ask questions, talk through specific challenges or struggles with your manuscript, and share wins.
- Three manuscript deadlines, when your draft is due for professional editorial review and feedback
- Three one-on-one calls with your editor to review your manuscript feedback
- Private member site to access materials & group to connect with other participants
- Option to attend writing retreat exclusive for Nonfiction Bootcamp participants (additional cost)
Real talk: We’re willing to bet that 9 months is less time than you’ve already spent working on your book and trying to finish it on your own. It may sound like a long time when you think of it in terms of waiting ANOTHER 9 months to get it done. But let us ask you this: if you continue to work on your own, what’s the reality that you will actually finish it on your own in 9 months or less?
Beyond that, this program is 9 months because there is time built in to let you sit and work through material as necessary. When we work with writers in this capacity, together we often uncover something deep that hasn’t been addressed in the manuscript and needs to be. When it’s that deep, you need space to process and get ready to face what you need to face in order to finish the book, and—guess what?—that takes time. Time that you can’t know you need until you are in it.
This is a virtual program, which means you should have reliable internet to access material online and for joining the live office hours. You’ll also need an internet connection for your one-on-one calls. We use Zoom for these sessions. If you haven’t used it before, you need to download it and create an account; it’s free to download and to use for joining calls.
These are video calls, and it is ideal if you have the ability to join on a computer or device with a camera.
This program is designed to help writers finish their book and complete a manuscript that is ready for next steps. It is not designed for helping you get published or teaching you how to go about getting it published. We may look at options for how to share your work that could potentially include publishing but, no, that is not the focus of this program.